Here’s a list of what we decided to pack in our bags and take along for the birth. Since we are going to be delivering at the birth center, we’ll usually be released about six hours after delivery. If I deliver at night, they will let me stay overnight. For that reason, I’m just packing basic overnight necessities. I do have two bags on stand-by (one for me and one for Frank) in case we end up transferring to the hospital or staying longer. They’re mostly filled with clothes. That way, someone can just drop by the house and pick them up instead of having to rummage through our clothes and things to bring us what we need.
Carry Out: These are things daddy’s going to have to get and put in the vehicle if they’re not already in there.
- Towel and Trashbag – apparently a lot of people throw up during the car ride. I want to protect my truck!
- Mommy’s Bag
- Daddy’s Bag
- Baby’s Bag
- Car Seat – our base is already installed, but we don’t keep the carseat in the car.
- Nursing Pillow – I’m taking a mombo.
- Cooler with Drinks and Meals – Since I still have morning sickness, Frank has a pre-approved list of foods that he can pack and eat that won’t make me throw up.
Mommy’s Bag: These are the things that are specifically packed in my bag.
- Nursing Bra
- Sports Bra – for walking around during labor in case I feel too hot for other clothes.
- Breast Pads
- Night Gown/Robe
- Socks – some fuzzy ones in case my feet get cold!
- Going Home Outfit – black pants, because there can be a lot of bleeding after delivery.
- Toiletries – toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, brush, gel
- Maxi Pads – for the bleeding. I’m making “soothing” ones following these instructions.
- Hair Band – I’ll want my hair out of my face!
- Contacts – I have really bad eyesight. If my glasses start to fog up, I will want to have an option that will still allow me to see.
- Old Underwear – because I hear all the underwear in the beginning will probably get stained.
- Birth Plan – there is one in my patient chart, but it always helps to have extra copies!
Baby’s Bag: We are using cloth diapers, so decided to take those with us so we can start right away with cloth. I don’t think the birth center provides as much as the hospital, so maybe I am overpacking if it actually does provide items for baby.
- 2 Newborn Outfits – I think we only need one, but in case we stay overnight or have an accident in one. Hopefully Note can come home in the outfit that we picked for them to come home in! We are expecting an average-sized baby, so newborn size will be perfect.
- 2 Swaddle Blankets
- 1 Swaddle Wrap – in case we can’t get the swaddling down quickly enough.
- 3 Newborn Diapers – we are using gDiapers. We will probably only experience one diaper while at the birth center, but I am taking more just in case.
- 3 Small Diapers – just in case these fit better than the newborn diapers. They are also gDiapers.
- 3 Extra Snap Liners – these are for the gDiapers specifically to make changes easier. They are only for the small diapers.
- Disposable Inserts – we are using these until the meconium stage passes.
- Baby Book – to record the birth details and get the tiny foot prints like they do on the birth certificate.
- Nasal Aspirator
- Comb/Brush – for that little hair.
- Body Wash – we are still undecided if we will wait on the first bath and leave the vernix and all that stuff on until we take their first bath when the umbilical cord comes off.
- Nail Clippers – newborn nails are usually a little long and they can scratch their face.
- Wipes – we are taking sample packs since I doubt we need much.
- Wash Clothes
- Burp Clothes
- Wet Bag – These are to put dirty cloth diapers in. We wouldn’t need it if we were using disposables.
Daddy’s Bag: These are the things we packed in Frank’s bag. He is an extreme minimalist, so his list is extremely short.
- Change of Clothes
- Pajamas – he only wants these because he gets extremely cold at night.
- Snacks – he gets to carry any snacks we want that don’t go in the cooler in his bag.
- Massage Oil – This is for me, but I’m putting it in his bag.
- Props – he has a special scene he wants to set up for a right after birth picture.
- Kindle + Charger – he can be pretty restless when he is just sitting down, so he needs something to distract himself.
- Phone Chargers – These are really important! We have one back up in the car already in case we forget. This is probably an item we might forget to pack since we use them every day.
So, that’s all we are going to pack. I will make a post after the birth to keep track of whatever we did use. I do hope I didn’t over or under pack. But I would honestly rather overpack. Better to have everything I need when I need it.